Jewelry Site But No Sales
On a regular basis, I get emails concerning jewelry makers who are trying to sell their jewelry through a web site. A typical question I get asked will be something like, "I set Pandora Enamel Silver White Charm 177 up my web site five weeks ago to sell my jewelry, but I haven't sold one piece in all of that time! What am I doing wrong? Please, look at my site and tell me what is wrong with it!"
Now, because I have never claimed to be a web site expert, I make it a policy not to review other people's web sites. However, without even looking at a site from someone like this, I can tell you what is wrong. In fact, here is the answer I recently sent in answer to just such an email:
I make it a policy not to critique people's site because I am no expert on web design. However, without even looking at it, I can tell you just by the information you included in your email that it has nothing to do with the site design or the jewelry design. A few weeks on the Internet is like the blink of an eye. I wouldn't expect to get much traffic for at least 3 to 6 months and nothing significant for a year. This is true with any web site but even more so with jewelry because there are so many people selling jewelry on line.
If you still want to continue to try selling on line, I would suggest trying a few things that will slowly help you build traffic. First, consider getting an etsy store and connecting it to Pandora Murano Glass Bead 078 the site. Etsy is full too, but the more links in the better. Plus, it is a good place to get to know other artists and learn from them. Another thing to consider is starting a weblog as part of the site and updating regularly. This way you can have regular site updates that search engines may notice, and at the same time, you can build a customer base and educate them about your jewelry.
There are lots of other things to do like search engine optimization, but like I said, I'm no Thomas Sabo Necklaces White Fresh Water Pearl authentic tiffany bracelets with One Star Ch web design expert. I've been writing on line for 10 years, so that's why I say it takes awhile. I've never heard of anyone being an overnight success on line. It just doesn t happen unless you are someone famous or have some connection to someone famous. Just like a real store off line, it takes a long time to establish yourself. Selling jewelry is very tough. There is a huge amount of competition. So, you should not feel discouraged or take any of it personally if it takes time to sell your jewelry on line.
So, do you have a web site where you sell your jewelry? If so, have you found that it takes time to build a following?
Comments are closed for this post.
See All Posts
April 2, 2008 at 7:47 am
(1) SuJens Jewelry Design says:Yes! I have had my site up for almost a year. I update regularly, I am always adding my work. I have only had 1 sale ON LINE in all that time. I have had better luck selling from my home then on line, but I will not give up. There is an old saying. careful what you Tiffany Small 1837 Bracelet wish for Hang in there. we are just one of 1000 out there on line.
April 2, 2008 at 8:04 am
(2) Bev says:I totally agree. My site has been up for almost a year. I had about 10 sales BUT they have all been from a cancer fundraiser and they went there for that not because they found me on the web! It has brought more lookers as time goes by. I also agree the blog is a good idea.
April 2, 2008 at 8:51 am
(3) Laura C says:Yes it does take some time building an online jewelry shop, I use etsy as my store checkout and I am in the process of getting ready for an open house which is a great way Pandora Enamel Silver White Charm 177 to invite alot of people and let them know you are out there. I also have several blogs etc. Its hard Pandora Enamel Silver White Charm 177 work but when you get those first few sales the wait was well worth it.
One more way to get your name out there I will bead at a starbucks and lay my business cards on the table and people Pandora Enamel Silver White Charm 177 will take them or If I am out and about I will leave a business card on a table , by the register etc.
April 2, 2008 at 9:16 am
(4) Alice Jeter Mays says:Thanks for this information, I about to start a website and knowing that I may not get any hits for a while will help me have patience until I do. Having been making and selling jewelry for twenty years I am comfortable with the quality of my work. Photos were taken by a woman who worked at HSN so those are good as well. As you said, Tammy, it still a matter of marketing. You can have the best shop in the world and it Pandora Silver Crystal Heart Charm Bracelet Black does no good if no one visits.
Laura C ideas are great. Anything you can do to get a person to go to your site it. I think that etsy is a terrific bargain. Nowhere else can you get a website with hosting and paypal for less than $5. (I already know that my descriptions are too wordy; I am working on that.)
Prosperity to us all as our very fortunate future customers find us we are.
April 2, 2008 at 10:26 am
(6) Aaliz says:I just researching considering an online jewelry store. All because i have had way too much interest in my work from different states. At least i know not to feel as a failure if and when i start it it does pick up quickly. thanks!!!!
April 2, 2008 at 11:07 am
(7) Moondog says:I cannot say enough good things about Etsy. I been on it since Sept. of 07 and have had over 50 sales. It does take time and effort. I learned a lot about promoting my work on the site. Another advantage is that you can have business cards made w/ your etsy store web site on them.
April 2, 2008 at 11:20 am
(8) Alisa says:Good day! My grandmother recently passed and left behind hundreds and hundreds of rings, earrings, bracelets, pendants and loose stones all purchased from Jewelry Television just last year. All the jewelry pieces are brand new, never worn, still in their original boxes, with the tags attached and receipts wrapped around them. (She had definitely become a compulsive shopaholic as she would purchase 3 of the same rings sometimes!) Because I wanted to sell the jewelry as fast as possible, I created a store on eBay and within one week have had over 10 sales!!! I would definitely go with an Ebay store. I also use Google Adwords to promote my store.